Listen while you read:

AVRO Baroque around the Clock
Non-stop barokmuziek
Free 256k audio stream

1.19.2010

School cafeteria.

So there I was. Amidst the rise of exuberant techno rave music playing in the background, I stood, wondering, in the school cafeteria. The music was there to color your perception, give the impression of hipness, to make you think that...somehow, you've made a good choice. They had the clueless kid at the entrance again, the guy you hand your student ID card to and he looks at you with those big eyes like, 'IMG! What the fuck am I supposed to do with this?!' Passing through the entrance, I skimmed the selection, my little disposable cardboard lunch box in hand. 'Maybe, maybe the food won't suck today.' I glance to my right, 'Oh boy. Salad. Just like what I had yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that...' I'm drifting in the smell of food and coughing in the perfume of passing consumer girls. I stand in line, one-by-one ever closer to the chef who doesn't speak English. I get everything, including the chicken, while quietly debating in my head if I'm gonna eat that. The walk back to my dorm is cold, and miserable. I look up in the sky, only one star is visible. Due to the phallic nature of buildings my view of  the night sky coming hither isn't as expansive as it is going forth. I feel alone when I look up at the sky. Isolated from the rest of Creation. How pathetic I must look, when above me nebula form, stars are born and satellites deliver cable, and there I am with my little cardboard box, scurrying back to my dorm.

1 comment:

Please remember to be respectful with your comments.